Music and Imagery is adapted from Guided Imagery and Music which is a music centered integrative form of psychotherapy.
I am a certified Level 1 Guided Imagery and Music therapist. Which means I use music to facilitate a dynamic exploration of the unconsciousness and inner experiences in support of mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual aspects of well-being. Using both music and art, these creative outlets allow us to bring topics from the unconscious into consciousness for processing.
What MI supports:
- Building confidence and self esteem
- Fostering a deeper relationship with oneself and others
- Naming and processing emotions
- Stress and anxiety
However, sessions are unique here is what you can expect:
- Prelude: firstly, we begin with a gentle check which is an exploration of a resource or topic to take into the musical experience.
- Induction: secondly, the use of meditation and relaxation to induce an altered stated before the music starts.
- Music: then, one travels with the image into the music. The music is chosen by the guide based on the prelude and the individual’s musical taste.
- Mandala: once the music has ended, you are invited to draw a mandala of the imagery.
- Postlude: lastly, the experience is explored, internalised, and integrated.
Furthermore, MI can is easily integrated into ongoing talk therapy sessions or can be stand alone sessions. I believe in the healing power of music and I am incredibly excited to be able to share this way of healing with you! Curious about MI?